Forty Nine (Almost Done)

Well, after what feels like forever (more than a year) especially after losing steam a few times I am nearing the end of my fifty post challenge. I haven't said much about what I've been doing since the triathlon in June. So before I look forward I will give a (hopefully) brief summary. I have some hopes to add some photos soon.

A week after the triathlon I had a 3km race in Canmore. I was happy to place third overall and it was probably one of my best runs of the year. A week later I had a 10km race. I spent the weeks after the tri doing some moderate workouts (plus the 3km race). I felt primed and ready to run a great 10km - ideally sub 50 minutes. Also trying to follow a half marathon plan I chose an ambitious 4km warm up. Well, being a bit tired off the line and soaring temperatures I crashed at km 5 and ended up not being able to keep my heart out of my throat. 53 some minutes later I was deflated and defeated. Not the race I was imagining. But there's a sunny side to the story - Coach M ran her first race ever! It was mostly a carry between my mom and I - then Dad (hubs) at the end. I think the hubs and I were far more excited than she was - between the heat and time of day she was just ready to nap.

Originally I had ambitious plans to PB my half marathon scheduled in August. Things quickly shifted after my pitiful 10km and picking up coaching two clinics three times a week. My runs became theirs and landscaping dominated the rest of my time. I do have a wicked back and arms though to show for shoveling/wheelbarrowing 30 cubic yards of dirt. With no runs further than 10km since early July I knew there would be no PB. In Edmonton I met up with two friends who were running 'naked'. Watchless, garminless, and with similar goals in mind we had a great time running together for 15km. From there we surged and fell back at different points. At kilometer 17 I was in agony and wanted to be done but somehow I willed myself through the last 4km to finish in a respectable 1:58. Chris was a minute or so ahead and Molly just a few seconds behind. Despite the last 4km hurting a lot it was one of my best runs this year. Running without referencing my wrist every 27 steps was freeing. A flat and uneventful course meant we could chat a bit and catch up on each other's lives - kids, weddings, spouses. I finished hot and happy and knowing that I just don't really like the half marathon distance.

Back from Edmonton I was determined to get on my bike a bit before the duathlon mid-September. I think I got out once on vacation in Kelowna. Vacation was great - a 5km trail run near our resort, the ride, and a gruelling 18km race. Yes, I'm that dumb one who thought running an 18km race from the top of a mountain then back up a hill into a vineyard would be the best thing to do before driving home 10 hours the next day. Peak to Beak was a great way to see Kelowna - and I would consider training for this race again. Despite the challenging course I loved this race; the friendliness of both the runners and organizers, a well organized race, and wine as finisher prizes made for a great morning to run.

Duathlon on the brain I still didn't get any more rides in or great focused runs. Knowing that my training wasn't really up to par to 'race' I went out again garminless and hoped at the least for a result similar to the year before even though the course was different. For the past for years I had either volunteered or raced the event and I will have to say that this year was my favorite course by far.  I hope this one sticks around for a few years. I had a lot of fun on the course - found a 'buddy' to pace for the run - lost him on the bike - but then caught up with him again on the second run. I had great transitions and finished a respectable 12th O/A female.

With two last races in the season I decided I couldn't continue to ignore a plaguing injury since July. My right hip flexor and right SI joint were now excruciating and I couldn't sleep. Some IMS at physio calmed things down enough to have a PB run at Ambulance Chasers 5km  and a decent run at Ekiden to help our store team secure a third place win in our category. About the only thing that got me moving at Ambulance Chasers was the dream of a new running jacket. Yes, I bribed myself into running fast. I inwardly chanted 'polka dots, polka dots' as I struggled through the race in no shape at all. It has been a frustrating second half of the year - injured, little motivation, time and efforts being devoted elsewhere - it was good to get the PB - and the jacket!

I think I will do the Twitter Road Race on November 3rd. It might be my last sanity saving 10km run before I embark on a 15 day cruise with the in-laws. Plus it will be in San Diego - which could make for some fun getting lost no idea where I am running. I'm hoping for some yoga on the boat, playing in the pool with Coach M, some snorkelling excursions, and some sleep - which has been eluding me for many many reasons.


  1. Oooh, I'm going to do the Twitter Road Race too, it's my last 'race' before we head to Mexico for my brother's wedding and I eat myself into a food coma :)

    1. It's my last race before we embark on a 15 day cruise and I eat myself into a food coma too!