6.12.12

Streak

Well, almost a week into the Strides Run Streak and I've had some great runs and some, 'do I have to?' moments. Overall though I'm loving the challenge of getting a little something done everyday.

Day 1 - 5.5km from the store with a good group of runners. Later that day we packed up and trekked through the snow to get our Christmas tree.

Day 2 - 1 mile on the treadmill at home on some tired legs. I followed this with 20 minutes of gentle stretching yoga.

Day 3 -  Hectic and tired today so a moderate 1 mile on the treadmill.


Day 4 - 1000m swim in the morning then 1 mile outside pushing Coach M. Who by the way was not very motivating as she slept the entire way!


Day 5 - I was just putting my pj's on and remembered I hadn't done my mile yet. Ugh. I dropped a huge f bomb because I so didn't want to do a mile tonight. I had been up since 5:30 with Coach M and had a long day of too much to do not enough time. It was 10:40pm but I changed into my running clothes and got ready to go. Original thought was to walk most of it but two minutes in I decided I wanted the mile over much quicker so I ramped up the pace and got it done. Off to bed.

Day 6 - Drag my butt out of bed day! Coach M had a sleepover so I could have theoretically slept in but I had somewhere to be at 9. Darn it all. At 10 I met up with my daytime clinic I've been coaching to do our mile followed by some intervals and some body weight strength training. The sun was out and shining and the sidewalks relatively clear for some speed. With warm up and work we got in 4km.

Day 7 - 1 mile. It was late Friday when I got to this mile so it was a brisk walk while catching up on some Grey's Anatomy. My body is feeling the everyday effort and my right hip/butt pain which I thought was resolved is coming back. I have to bust out the foam roller and get doing my yoga! (Pep talk to self - let's see if it works.)

Day 8 - Saturday group run at the store. The store had Streak shirts printed and we asked participants to bring donations of food/cash for the Calgary Food Bank. We collected two large boxes and $125 cash. Merry Christmas! We ran about 25 minutes and I think we did about 4km.

Day 9 - 1 mile inside on the treadmill. A pyrimid run starting with a walk warm up and then getting up to speed then working my way back down to a walk. I really like this workout - it makes me feel like I get a warm up, cool-down, and speed work all in 10-11 minutes.

Day 10 - 2 miles fairly steady on the treadmill while Coach M cheered me on and simultaneously watched a show. She kept saying - 'mommy running; mommy go fast'. Love her!

Day 11 - TBD - likely something later tonight, hopefully a mile followed by some yoga (see day 7)

Total kilometres so far: 26.5ish (give or take .5)

Mostly I'm still really encouraged by the challenge and look forward to more dual days combined with swimming, yoga, or biking. I'm wish I had the energy to do more than the one mile minimum most days but as Coach M seems to be in a sleeping funk with no naps and sporadic waking times plus finishing a course that has me up late most evenings completing projects, I am just going to take every mile I can. I can't wait for class to be over next week and hopefully M will be settled into her new non-napping routine and sleeping consistently at night.

I'm feeling pretty resilient doing something everyday - even if it is 10 minutes or so. As the month continues I hope I can get outside more. The treadmill is a great addition and very helpful/convenient but there is nothing refreshing about it. And - I need to get my phone out and snap some more pictures - and not of the treadmill screen! Plan of action - yoga, pictures, get outside.

Anyone else blogging about their streak?

No comments:

Post a Comment