27.12.12

The Holidays

The holidays... filled with laughter, food, more food, more food. I am sufficiently stuffed. I'm not a big sweets person so I've been rationing my white chocolate covered caramel my aunt makes. I can't however resist the salty, greasy, potato chips in my house. But don't worry, I polished them off today so I'm in the clear until at least New Year's eve when a bowl or two is bound to show up at a party.

I've been less than steller with my fitness record over the holidays. My streak came to an abrubt halt on December 11 due to overwhelming stress from a school project and too many hours dedicated to that - oh and a severe uncomfortable feeling in my abdomen.


Yes, I'm pregnant! And this baby is not a fan of running. Since early December runs have been slightly uncomfortable even though I'm still relatively early in the pregnancy. It was really apparent on the 9th and 10th when my mile was more walk than run. Today after a break I tried to jump on the treadmill again and see if a couple weeks had changed anything. Not so much. While I wasn't as uncomfortable my bladder was going for a run of it's own, despite a trip to the toilet pre-run. So, I'm thinking there is much more biking, swimming, and walking in store the next year than there will be running. I can deal without running I think - I'm not sure. I would just love to have the option to run even if I don't always want to.

I had hoped to coach a learn to run clinic starting in January and I'm sad to have to pull out of that. I was looking forward to easing out of the 1st trimester drag and working through to gain stamina myself in the 2nd with my clinic. Today's run was more like 4 minutes run w/ 2 minutes walk to catch my breath. Let's hope this blood volume shifts back into my favour real soon.

I am still going to investigate a support belt and see if that takes some pressure off my bladder. Otherwise I'm generally feeling pretty good. Mostly fatigue is catching up with me and I'm quick to have lights out by 10 or sooner - and waking up with Coach M is a struggle at no matter if it's 7am or 8am. Fortunately, my family has been around over the holidays so I've had a few fortunate naps. I will only be so lucky to get them when hubs is off from work though starting now. Coach M likes to have me in her presence at all times if I'm home so sneaking away to sleep is going to be an adjustment for her.

Thankfully I haven't been plagued by Kate Middleton disease and my infrequent and mild nausea can be cured by a healthy dose of food. I know the experts say you don't need extra calories in the first trimester but let's face it - they happen. And while I would be keen to grab for the potato chips I've been fairly dilegent and been grabbing oranges, yogurt, and toast.

So the new year holds no plans for training or racing for me - maybe something short in the fall. The hubs is working hard toward an olympic distance triathlon so I will be happy to help support him with that. I've signed up for a yoga class starting in early January and hope to fit lots of pool time in. The few times I swam in December felt really good.

More news to come and updates as I navigate this pregnancy. We have a dating ultrasound tomorrow so we will have a finalized due date - which is looking right now to be end of July or very early August.

I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and wish everyone the best in 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment