22.7.13

Labour and Undelivery

So after my thoughts turned to ambitiously get blogging about my favorite things about running something else happened. Our beautiful city flooded. My thoughts on posting about my favorite run spots - with pictures, well, let's just say I couldn't even bring myself to go down to many of my favorite spots to see the damage as photos alone had me crying. We finally ventured down to Fish Creek with friends on Friday night for a picnic and the damage, though not to the extent of 2005, was remarkable and sad - and we were at the 'good end' of the park, with the East end being more severely hit. (Not from Calgary - google Calgary Flood in images to see the damage)

The friends we met were able to bike/run down - something I can't wait to do once this baby is out! Speaking of out, and speaking of workouts, let's talk about Labour and Undelivery.

Saturday afternoon I woke up from a nap with what was definitely more than a Braxton Hicks contraction. So I did some pacing in the house and some stairs and sure enough, these were real labour contractions. I woke hubby up from his nap and we preceded to get things ready to head to the hospital. Having had a quick delivery with Coach M (<4hrs) we thought it best to get there ASAP.

I won't bore you with all the details but essentially once at the hospital and sitting there with the monitors on to check baby's heart rate and my contraction rate, I stopped labouring. After about an hour I insisted to be taken off so I could get moving. So we walked, for 2.5 hours in the hospital hallways. I felt like things were progressing so we stopped back to get checked. Well what do you know, sitting down basically halted the whole process again. After having some discussion with my obstetrician (who was thankfully working) and listening to my gut (which was grumbling of hunger) we decided to pack it in and head home to be more comfortable, eat, and rest. Half hour after getting home I was still having the odd contraction but mostly they had settled down. I went to bed and here we are Monday morning with no baby.

Am I disappointed, yes and no. Mostly hubby and I have taken this away as a learning experience. Yesterday I was exhausted. It felt like I had done a really hard workout - not that walking is overly strenuous but I challenge you to walk for 2.5 hours with a 35lb vest. Walking and contracting is a bit of a workout I'd say. I had put on my compression sleeves when we got home Saturday night and that helped my legs to feel so much better. But my back and hips were awfully achy come Sunday morning. Stretching, rolling - basically treating myself as if I had run a really hard race has helped to ease the pains.

And that's what I'm thankful for - I know how to recover. Eat, sleep, stretch. But what was missing? Well would you do a 2.5 hour workout without nutrition? electrolytes? I did, and I shouldn't have. I did have Nuun packed in my bag for recovery but I should have been drinking that and not just water on Saturday. We have also now packed some Honey Stinger gels in the bag. Labour is a workout and I need to treat it as such.

I am feeling a lot less tired today and suspect my ATP & carbohydrate stores are recovering. My focus now is eating lots of good quality protein and restoring some balance in my body for the next workout - real labour. Hopefully I can report back soon with news of a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment